Missed Connections - Portland, OR
Kingston Club / F —> M / Saturday Night Dub (2/4)
Date: 2012-02-08, 5:13PM PST
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ve never done this before. I’m new to town. Just accepted a teaching job here in the city, and moved out from Alabama early last month. But anyway, I saw you at the Kingston Club last Saturday (2/4) during their weekly dub night (it was my first time there) and I really wanted to introduce myself, but I was too nervous to walk over and talk to you.
You were wearing a blue and white striped shirt, and tan pants (maybe chinos?). You had short dark hair and were standing – sometimes dancing – with a group of friends over toward the DJ booth.
I walked in with my friend around midnight. It was dark, and the smoke machines were running at that time, but I saw you look over in our direction at one point as we sipped mojitos on the couches in the far right corner of the room. I had hoped that maybe it was me you were looking for.
Full disclosure, I had butterflies the whole rest of the night.
Anyway, please don’t think this is weird, but I made you a mix of some of the songs from that night. My hope is that maybe, if you don’t exactly remember me, one of these songs will trigger your memory.
(I have an app on my phone that can identify what songs are playing…)
- Dub Specialist - Dub It Easy
- Scientist - Cry of the Werewolf
- Augustus Pablo - Jah Light Version
- Lee “Scratch” Perry - Black Panta
- King Tubby - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
- Sly Dunbar - Dirty Harry
- Prince Far I - A Message
- Tommy McCook - Bigger Things
- Big Youth - Skylarking
- Augustus Pablo - Natural Way
- Roots Underground - Black Brigade
- Bobby Ellis & The Crystalites - Alfred Hitchcock
- Dub Specialist - Love of a Dub (Love of a Woman)
- Mad Professor - Bengali Skank
- The Clash - Justice Tonight/Kick It Over
- Skin, Flesh & Bones - Bammie Fe Fish
- Tapper Zukie & Brethren - Rub a Dub Weh Them Want
- Soul Syndicate – Riot
I know how unlikely this is. I wish I could be more assertive, but it’s difficult for me. I don’t know your situation – maybe you have a girlfriend already? If so, ignore me and I’m really sorry for all this.
If you do remember me, just know that it’s been several days now and I’m still thinking of you.
Postcard: Found at the Melrose Trading Post in Los Angeles, CA in October 2011.